Thursday, August 20, 2009

Please help me to fly for real


At the beginning of the year I was considering putting Emma in preschool. I had one big hang up....she wasn't potty trained. Well at the beginning of the summer I decided we would give it another try. For a week, Emma had accidents when I didn't remind her to go. Then the second week I didn't have to remind her and she was going all by herself. It's only been two months since she has been potty trained but it feels like it's been years. Hurray!!!!

Back to school......I asked Emma what type of preschool she wanted to attend. She could go to a community center program, an at-home school or preschool swap with some friends. She choose to go to the community center program (our neighbor went to that one last year and Emma got to go and drop her off a couple of times.) The community center program is in such high demand that they chose to do a lottery to pick the students. We filled out the application and then let Emma know that if this was really want she wanted she had to pray about it and she did. (Will and I felt that this was a good opportunity to teach her about prayer but we also reminded her that if she didn't get picked it was probably because someone else needed to get in (or maybe that was just our lack of faith))

Last week we found out that she was picked to be in the pre-school program and we got the time slot that was the most ideal for us. The whole experience has been a testimony builder to me (don't laugh but it reminded me of when I was little and would lose my retainer and after a prayer it would appear). She is so little and yet he provided her with this opportunity to learn....neat, don't you think?

Since then we have encouraged Emma to thank Heavenly Father for helping her get into school. Well, the first night that she thanked him in her prayer she added "and please help me fly for real." Lately, she has been asking for wings so that she can fly. I have to say that is super cute. But, what do I do about it? What would you say to your daughter?

4 comments:

Karen said...

That's awesome! As for the flying thing, you can give her a lesson about the prayers that Heavenly Father answers are for our benefit and HIS will and so sometimes things that we want are not always what is best for us so sometimes He has to say no. (Just like sometimes mommy and daddy have to say no)

Laurel said...

That is really too cute. :) First of all, CONGRATS on getting her fully potty trained!!! That is seriously the best news of your life, I'm sure. As for the flying, knowing Emma you'll have to use logic with her. Just explain that Heavenly Father doesn't have ANYONE fly. Not mom, dad, Evan, or even President Monson. I really think she might go for it that way. :) Good luck!

Megan said...

What a fun post about Emma. Very inspiring, to me, about the way you are teacihng her prayer. I totally agree with Karen and Laurel. I'm sure just explaining it one of those two ways would help.

Mandy said...

I'm so glad that she's potty trained! Isn't it so great?!